Having worked with a lot of the LGBTQ community in groups and one to ones teaching The Thrive Programme, I have seen the life changing effects Thrive can have. I liaise regularly with the local LGBTQ centre here in Edinburgh and take an active part in the LGBTQ community and its current issues myself, in order to stay up to date and relevant.
If there are areas of our lives we are having difficulty with, it can leave us creating low mood and worry. This can manifest into depression and anxiety and start affecting other parts of our life also. We may feel powerless, trapped and unable to see light at the end of the tunnel.
Let’s look at some of the mental health stats for LGBTQ people.
- LGBT people are 3 times more likely to experience mental ill health than non LGBT people.
- Suicidal behaviour is 3 times more prevalent among LGBT people when compared to the general population. This rises to 8 times among transgender people (1 in 3).
- Self harm is 8 times more prevalent among LGB people rising to 20 times among transgender people.
- 1 in 3 people who completed the 2012 `Trans Health Study` (McNeil et al) said they avoided seeking urgent mental health support due to their trans gender identity
- 1 in 5 LGB women say they have an eating disorder, compared to 1 in 20 of the general population.
Thrive can help:
Whatever your situation, The Thrive Programme can help. Whilst we can’t change society individually, or the way people behave towards us, we can change the way we respond, our perspective and how empowered we feel.
Thrive isn’t about going over the past and painful issues. Its not a therapy, it’s a positive psychology programme, equipping the client with the skills to build strong psychological foundations, resilience, and a positive mindset. That’s just a few of the skills, think of it as a full tool-box to help you deal with whatever life throws at you.
Strong psychological foundations simply means:
- How powerful and in control we feel and how to increase this.
- And self esteem-how we feel about us and how to improve and maintain this.
Thrive also looks at:
- Social anxiety-how to reduce worry about what others think.
- How to identify unhelpful thinking styles ie, perfectionist, negative, impulsive to name just a few, and how to change those.
- How to stop creating anxiety and stress.
Thrive with Michelle
28 Forth Street, Edinburgh EH1 3LH
The Thrive Programme with Michelle Winter serving Edinburgh, the Lothians and Fife.
Within easy reach of
Musselburgh, Haddington, Tranent, Cockenzie, Longniddry, Gullane,
North Berwick, Dalkeith, Gorebridge, Newton Grange, Lasswade, Roslin, Penicuik,
West Linton, East Calder, West Calder, Livingston, Broxburn, Newbridge and Kirkliston.
Thrive with Michelle
Light Centre Belgravia
7-9 Eccleston Street, Belgravia, SW1W 9LX
The Thrive Programme with Michelle Winter serving Central London.